The Evening Standard hit the streets for the first time on May 21 1827. Since then it has seen off a succession of rivals and been through several owners. Its 32 editors have included such illustrious figures as Michael Foot, Charles Wintour and Simon Jenkins.
Originally called simply the Standard, it was first set up to compete with The Times – which saw it as a nasty upstart. It wasn’t until 1859 that an evening edition of the paper hit the streets and it changed its name to the Evening Standard. In its heyday it published three editions a day, barring weekends and bank holidays, with the front and first few inside pages changing for each edition. The page changes were signposted by stars in the bottom left-hand corner of each page – two for the second edition, three for the third.